STARBOOKS beneficiaries photo op with DOST IX- Provincial Director Jennifer A. Pidor
Eight (8) units of the Science & Technology Academic Research-Based and Openly-Operated Kiosk Stations (STARBOOKS) have recently been released to selected public high schools in Zamboanga Sibugay.
Each unit includes a desktop computer, a monitor, mouse, keyboard, an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), and a compartment-type printer.
Developed by DOST-STII (Science and Technology Information Institute), STARBOOKS allows users access to a massive collection of local and foreign S&T resources in text, video, and audio formats, which include digitized journals, serial publications, reference materials, and other sci-tech resources found in the DOST-STII's libraries.
Actual Demonstration of STARBOOKS software to school's representatives
During the said handover event, school principals, along with their respective IT officers were oriented on the use of the actual units and the STARBOOKS software. The recipient schools are as follows:
- Surabay National High School represented by the School’s Principal Mr. Felix A. Sumalinog and IT coordinator Mr. Christopher S. Cainglet;
- Ipil National High School represented by the School Principal Mr. Esteban F. Canones, Jr. and IT coordinator Mr. Junie T. Nillas;
- Taway National High School represented by the School’s Head Ms. Maria Liza Sanopao and IT coordinator Mr. Reynante Golbin;
- Kitabog National High School represented by the School’s Principal Ms. Victoria T. Sanson and IT coordinator Ms. Eugene S. Arestoteles;
- Titay National High School represented by School’s Principal Mr. Alberto T. Alavaren and IT coordinator Mr. Ronald K. Manlupig;
- Kabasalan National High School represented by the School’s Principal Ms. Lhorelle L. Cabalida and IT coordinator Ms. Vivian P. Hinayon;
- Kabasalan Science and Technology High School represented by School’s Principal Ms. Gernin s. Laraño and IT coordinator Mr. Juliver V. Sevilla; and
- Guinoman National High School represented by the School’s Head Mr. Roland D. Agraviador and IT coordinator Ms. Lowela E. Saga.
Also present were DOST IX Regional Director Mr. Martin A. Wee (via web), the office of Congresswoman Dulce Ann K. Hofer represented by Mr. Almer Raagas, Department of Education (DepEd) Ms. Jenny T. Dosil, and Mr. Paolo Antonio V. Manaytay of the Philippine Information Agency (PIA).
The activity is in support of providing practical and applicable educational platforms whilst under the effects of the pandemic.