The Department of Science and Technology Regional Office No. IX (DOST-IX) conducted a series of activities on March 06-09, 2018 to promote its flagship program, the Small Enterprise Technology Upgrading Program (SETUP). Two (02) SETUP orientations were conducted – one in the municipality of Kabasalan and another in Imelda, Zamboanga Sibugay on March 06 and 08 2018, respectively. Said events were participated by over 60 participants coming from corporations, cooperatives, and other business entities in the province. Also present during the events were officials from the municipalities as well as representatives from the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).
On March 09, 2018, a Consultative Dialogue, Awarding of Certificate of Ownership to SETUP Beneficiaries, and Ceremonial MOA Signing of newly approved SETUP Projects were conducted in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay. The 3-in-1 activity was intended to encourage more MSMEs to avail of the program while showcasing the completed projects and the recently approved ones.
A total of 21 firms coming from different sectors, including those from the Agriculture and Food Processing sectors, attended the event. Following the dialogue, the DOST-IX Regional Director, Mr. Martin A. Wee awarded the Certificates of Ownership to six (06) Graduated Beneficiaries – those who have successfully implemented their projects and have fully refunded the SETUP Innovation System Support Fund, as well as the Technology Transfer Fee. Among those awarded were: 1) Bambi’s Balut Egg Supplier; 2) Cocoy Machine Shop; 3) M. Ruiz Bakeshop; 4) Daños Balut and Sari-Sari Store; 5) JAT-C Bakeshop; and 6) Pollyana’s Sweet Shop.
The whole activity concluded with the Ceremonial MOA Signing of five (05) Newly-Approved SETUP Projects amounting to 5.021 Million Pesos, the beneficiaries of which are: 1) Alvin Special Yema; 2) Zamora Rice Mill; 3) Cocoy Machine Shop; 4) Franelen RM Inc.; and 5) LGU- Tungawan.
SETUP or Small Enterprise Technology Upgrading Program, which is one of DOST's flagship programs, assists micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) from the following priority sectors:
• Food processing
• Metals & Engineering
• Marine and Aquatic resources
• Agriculture & Horticulture
• Health-related Products
• ICT & Electronics
• Gifts, Decors & Handicrafts
The program assists MSMEs to improve their productivity through different technological interventions such as acquisition of innovative and cost-effective technology, product development, process improvement, human resource development, and consultancy services, among others.
Interested companies or individual firms must be wholly owned by Filipino citizens and be based in the Philippines in order to avail of the program’s services. In addition, the following requirements must be submitted:
1. Comprehensive TNA Report
2. Proponent’s letter of intent to avail of financial assistance, stating commitment to repayment, including the proposed repayment schedule.
3. Copy of business permits and licenses from relevant LGUs and other government offices.
4. Financial statements for at least the past three (3) years of the company / beneficiary duly signed by a Registered Accountant / Auditor.
5. Projected financial statements for the next five (5) years.
6. Certificate of Registration of Business Name with DTI, SEC or CDA, Board resolution authorizing the borrowing and designating authorized signatories for the financial assistance (whichever is applicable).
7. Three (3) quotations from suppliers / fabricators of the equipment to be purchased / fabricated with technical specifications.
8. Complete technical design / drawing of the equipment to be purchased / fabricated.